For Staff> File Storage

The current website is being replaced with revised and improved content.
Please refer to our revised site for the latest content at

Staff File Storage

The UNSW File Service is a centralised file storage service for staff and postgraduate research students at UNSW, which can be accessed both on and off campus. The service provides hard disk storage linked to individual UNSW users (Home Drive) and shared storage for multiple users (Shared Folders).

About the UNSW File Service

The UNSW File Service provides a centralised storage space for both individual users and groups, with each user allocated a set amount of storage.

Files stored using the service are accessible by most computers and devices, from most locations. The service makes it possible for users to access their personal (Home Drive) or shared (Shared Folders) storage space from any computer on campus via the UniWide wireless service, or from home.

When you access the UNSW File Service, you will only see resources you have access rights to. You will not see other users' Home Drives or Shared Folders that you do not have access to.

Your responsibilities when using the UNSW File Service

UNSW Acceptable Use of UNSW Information and Communication Technology Resources Policy

This Policy informs users of the University’s ICT resources of their rights and responsibilities, and the University’s requirement that its ICT resources are used in a legal, ethical and responsible manner.

Those responsibilities include following the UNSW Code of Conduct and the UNSW Student Code Policy, which set out the general rules of conduct for staff and students.

The Acceptable Use of Information and Communication Technology Resources Procedure has been developed to help users fulfil these responsibilities.

UNSW Recordkeeping Policy (Staff Only)

This Policy requires that University staff properly create, store and dispose of any UNSW records. A record is any document made or received as part of your work that provides evidence of an action or decision. All records created or received by UNSW staff are owned by the University.

University records must be stored in (or captured to) a
system of record, not the UNSW File Service.

Systems of record have been evaluated and authorised due to their suitability for the capture and management of University records. They include transactional systems such as PiMS, SiMS, NewSouth Financials and the University’s recordkeeping system, RAMS.

The UNSW File Service is not suitable for the storage of University records. If you are not already storing copies of records in one or more of these systems, you must capture an original record to RAMS.

Personal Access Storage - your Home Drive

As a UNSW staff member or postgraduate research student you are automatically allocated storage space on the UNSW File Service. This storage space is known as your 'Home Drive'. Home Drives are used to store UNSW related files for a single user and cannot be accessed by others. You can only have one Home Drive. The size or storage space of your allocated Home Drive is 10GB. This quota may be increased upon request to the IT Service Centre.

You can access your Home Drive directly from your computer and have it appear on your desktop as a drive icon. For SOE computers and pre-configured computers, this occurs automatically. For other computers, you may need to configure your computer manually. View instructions for Windows, Mac or Linux.

Your Home Drive is designed to primarily store UNSW work-related files. You are discouraged from storing personal documents, music, pictures or video files on your Home Drive.

Group Access Storage - Shared Folders

Group Access data is accessible to multiple users based on pre-defined access groupings. Group Access data areas can be set up based on staff role, school, unit, department/faculty groupings or teaching/subject groupings. Ad-hoc functional data group access areas to support cohorts and functions can also be created. Group Access data can be accessed by groups of people with different levels of access to the data such as 'read-only', 'read & write' and 'full control'. You can only access a Group Access storage space if you are a registered user of that resource. For more information, view the About Group Access Folders page.

Each Group Access area will initially be allocated storage space based upon the specified requirements. This quota can be increased in future by contacting the IT Service Centre.

How can I confirm I have a Home Drive on the File Service?

Each staff member should already have a Home Drive set up for them on the central file server. Your Home Drive is based on your Staff ID and you must have an entry in the UNSW Active Directory. If you can log into UNSW Identity Manager you have an Active Directory entry.

The quickest way to confirm if your Home Drive is set up is to access it via the web as follows:

Using any popular web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome:

1. Enter the following URL or click on the link below

2. Enter your z staff number (in the form of z1231467) and zPass password when prompted (you may be prompted to do this twice). If your Home Drive is set up you will see a file list such as below;

University of New South Wales
File System

My Home Drive:

Shared Data Folders:

If you click on your 'My Home Drive' link you can browse your drive's contents (it may be empty to start off with). To download a file, click on its filename.

The Shared Data Folders contain shared folders and files you have access to. AppData contains content related to AppsUNSW. OneUNSW may contain shared folders from your faculty, school or project you are a member of.

If you don't have a Home Drive on the file service you will see a message "Sorry, you don't appear to have a Home Drive". If this occurs contact the IT Service Centre.

How do I access my Home Drive and Group Access folders?

Which Username and Password do I use to access the File Service?
Use your z staff number and zPass password to access the file service.

Accessing your department’s shared folders from on campus

[H:] drive is your personal data or home drive. By default no other users have access to this location on the server
[I:] drive for your divisional/faculty common data
[J:] drive for your departmental common data (which can also be found deeper in the directory structures of your [I:] drive)

If this is not the case, you can map these drives manually by following these instructions: Accessing File Service Shared Folders.

Full access to the File Service for Macs is limited to SOE Macs only at the present time. For more information refer to File Service Access for Mac Users.

Accessing your department’s shared (group access) folders from off campus

For Windows users, refer to File Service Remote Access for Windows Users.

Mac users can only access files off campus via a web browser (download but not upload). Refer to File Service Access for Mac Users.

Complete instructions:

How do I create or access folders in Group Access folders?

If you wish to do any of the following with Shared Files (group access areas) inside OneUNSW, such as:

  • Gain access to an existing folder
  • Create a new folder for your group or unit
  • Delete a folder owned by your group or unit
  • Manage access to a folder
You need to manage the above using the File System Access Management interface.

Safe Use of Public Access computers

When you are using public access computers such as those found in internet cafes, libraries, airports and hotels, you need to take extra precautions in protecting your sensitive information and data.

Computers in these environments may contain malicious software that could monitor keystrokes, capture your username and password or infect USB devices attached to them. As a precaution you should assume that computers in these environments lack adequate security and take measures to protect your sensitive online activities.


  • Don't tick 'Save my password' when accessing your personal accounts such as email, social networks etc, the UNSW file service or other UNSW online services.
  • Avoid accessing your bank account or doing credit card transactions on public access computers. Use a phone for these transactions instead.
  • Clear the browser's history, quit the web browser and log off before leaving the computer, so that others can't retrieve your browsing sessions.
  • Be aware that a USB memory stick plugged into these computers may become infected and install malicious software on the next computer you plug the USB stick into.

For a more detailed guide to safe use, refer to Stay Smart Online

How do I restore deleted or overwritten files?

I have accidentally deleted/overwritten a file. How do I restore it?

The UNSW File Service allows users to self recover previous versions of files or those that have been deleted. The service also offers recovery from backup copies if following the self recover instructions isn’t successful. The below table shows a retention time of backup:

Backup Schedule Retention Restore Mechanism
Daily Snapshot taken twice daily 1 week On-premises disk
Daily: Once Every Day 31 Days On-premises disk
Monthly Once Every Month 7 Years AWS Cloud

Windows Users

1. File restore can be accessed via Start > Computer > then double-click the H, I or J drive as appropriate.
2. Right-click the file or folder you wish to restore and select Properties, then click the Previous Versions tab. Select the version you wish to restore.
3. Click Open to check its the version you wish to restore.
4. Click Restore... to restore it to its original location or Copy... to save it to a new location.

For further information and instructions refer to the external Microsoft page: Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions.

Mac and Linux users

Please refer to How can I access FSAM? for instructions on how to access FSAM via a Terminal Server. Once in that environment, follow the Windows instructions in the "Windows Users" section above.

File Storage Questions and Answers

Other people can access my private files/data. How do I move them to a private location?
Move the data to a more secure folder or share. For Windows users, move the files to your home drive [H:] in the first instance and contact your local IT Support or the IT Service Centre. For Mac users move the files to your Home or User directory.

Other people in my department can see more folders than I can
You will only see the folders for which you have appropriate access rights to. If you need to access additional folders, use the form Access an Existing Shared Folder.

Can I access the UNSW File Service from home?
See 'Accessing your department's shared folders from off campus' above.

Windows users

How do I create a shortcut to a folder?
Please refer to the Shortcut FAQ.