For Staff> Username & Passwords

UNSW Username and Passwords

What is my UNSW Username?

Your username for accessing most UNSW online systems such as myUNSW, UNSW Blackboard, UNSW Standard Operating Environment (SOE) computers and the UNSW Exchange Email Service is your UNSW Login ID, which consists of an ‘s’ or ‘z’ followed by your UNSW ID (staff number). This is explained in detail immediately below.

Login ID

The Username or ‘User Name’ field is sometimes labelled ‘Login ID’ or ‘User ID’.

How do I find my UNSW ID (staff number)?
Your UNSW ID (staff number) is the 7-digit number printed on your staff ID card or, if you don't have a UNSW staff ID card, contact your department's administrative office or a HR staff member.

Staff ID card

How do I enter my UNSW Login ID?
When logging in to UNSW online systems, you use a lowercase 's' or 'z' prefix depending on the circumstance. See 'What is my assigned prefix' below.

staff user id

What is my assigned prefix?
Staff who are on the UNSW payroll (that is their pay is managed via NSS HR) are automatically assigned an s or z prefix depending on their date of employment. It is important to note your assigned prefix as follows:

  • staff employed before 29 March 2008 will have an ‘s’ before their staff ID as in s1234567
  • staff employed after 29 March 2008 will have a ‘z’ before their staff ID as in z1234567

Staff whose salaries are funded from non-UNSW sources, such as staff employed via contract agencies or research grants, will be assigned a ‘z’ prefix. Contract Staff who still have an ‘m’ number should apply for a ‘z’ number by filling out an OSA 02 form.

When do I use a ‘s’ prefix or a ‘z’ prefix when logging in?

See ‘What is my assigned prefix’ above. Once you have verified which prefix you were assigned, you should follow the instructions below relating to your prefix:

For ‘s’ number staff:

s is for UniPass
Use your s prefix and staff ID, ie s1234567, as your username for systems that require a UniPass password. If a major UNSW online service login screen does not mention UniPass assume that it requires a zPass password.

z is for zPass
In 2009 major new UNSW online systems such as UNSW Exchange email and Blackboard are using a new password system called zPass. You cannot use your assigned s prefix or UniPass password on these systems. Instead you simply substitute a z for your assigned s prefix, so your Username or Login ID for these systems will be in the form of z1234567. To find out which systems are using zPass authentication, view the Staff zPass page.

All systems using zPass should be labelled as such. Even if there is no zPass label, assume it uses zPass.

For ‘z’ number staff:

Use your z prefix and staff ID, ie z1234567, as your username for logging into all UNSW online systems, regardless of whether they require a UniPass or zPass password.

What passwords do I use on UNSW online systems?

UNSW Online Systems

Most primary online systems at UNSW use zPass authentication. These services include:

  • myUNSW
  • UniWide wireless
  • UNSW File Service
  • IDM Self-Service
  • zMail (for students)
  • UNSW Exchange Email Service
  • IT Self-Service
  • Blackboard
  • Library Online services
  • View all zPass services

UniPass is a legacy password system that is being gradually phased out. UniPass is used on a limited number of online services. View more on UniPass

NewSouth Systems (NSS)
Staff who have access to NewSouth systems such as NS Student, NS HR and NS Finance use a password system unique to that system. For more information view the NewSouth Systems page.

Other UNSW passwords
Systems other than those referenced above may use authentication systems unique to their environment. If you are trying to log into a faculty or research system for example, you should contact the local IT support for that resource or contact the IT Service Centre.

Where do I use and manage my UniPass password?

For more information on these passwords, refer to the UniPass pages.

Where do I use and manage my zPass password?

For more information on these passwords, refer to the zPass pages.

Where do I set or change my UNSW email alias?

You can set or change your email alias via the Identity Manager self-service site.